Managed by Film Oxford, LUMINOUS will provide the Shadowlight Artists, an established group of artists with learning disabilities, opportunities to create a new body of work and engage audiences through an extensive programme of exhibition activity within Oxford and beyond. Deepening their collaboration with established professional artists and gallery curators, each artist will produce a new significant body of artistic work that progresses their creative development. The group will be provided with a diverse and tailored exhibition platform, with at Modern Art Oxford, Arts at the Old Fire Station and offsite spaces around Oxford used to create highly artist-focused exhibitions. The group will be supported by Film Oxford, who have worked with the group through a series of developmental projects since 2009.
The Shadowlight Artists are:
Wendy Belcher, Tom Breach, Mark Hemsworth, Russell Highsmith, Richard Hunt, Lucy Skuce, Danny Smith.
Each Shadowlight artist is working with an artist established in their chosen medium to produce a new work will premiere at Modern Art Oxford and Arts at the Old Fire Station galleries in Winter 2020:
- Russell Highsmith is working with dramatist Mark Ralph-Bowman to create a new Play which was performed for 2 sold-out nights at Old Fire Station Theatre
- Lucy Skuce is working with Artist Chris Oakley to create a multimedia installation
- Richard Hunt is working with artist Sonia Boue on an installation work
- Mark Hemsworth is working with Naomi Morris on new photography work
- Danny Smith is creating a new dance for film piece
- Tom Breach is working with Chris Oakley to create an animation
LUMINOUS is principally funded by Arts Council England with addtional financial support from St Michael & All Saints Charities and others. In order to ensure the sustainability of the group, fundraising efforts are ongoing to support the group’s future activities.